- Investment, Multifamily
- Off Market
- 7,159 sq ft
Award Winning Historic Preservation!
Recently restored, this historical property includes four apartments as well as a restaurant/café space. Known as one of Burlington’s oldest industrial buildings, 495 Colchester Avenue was built circa 1840 as a blacksmith shop. Sometime around the turn of the century it transitioned to Lamare and Abare’s Grocery. After the historic flood of 1927, Colchester Avenue and the bridge connecting it to Winooski were raised. In 2016 the current owners undertook a two-year historic restoration project which included raising the building 10 feet and completely restoring the structural integrity of the building with brick and timber framing. This resulted in an extra level of useable space which has since been converted into a restaurant, currently leased to The Boardroom Café. The balance of the building was also completely renovated and includes two two-bedroom apartments and two three-bedroom units with views of the Winooski River. Upon completion of the project the owners received a Historic Preservation Award from the City of Burlington. This is a first-class mixed-use property located within walking distance to UVM, the hospital and downtown Winooski.
The approximately 3,377 SF restaurant space has exposed hemlock and red oak beams, painted floors, plaster, drywall and exposed brick. The kitchen is approximately 775 SF and has linoleum flooring. There are two bathrooms, one of which is ADA compliant. The apartments, all about 945 SF, have wide pine flooring and drywall ceilings and walls. Two of the units have full baths and two have ¾ baths. Three of the four also have combination washer/dryer units. Utilities are gas-fired with baseboard heat, 200 AMP electrical service with 100 AMP individual panels and the building is fully sprinklered.